We all have minor injuries from time to time. It's easy to get stuck in a routine for treating them. But you may be surprised at how many unusual ways there are to treat common ailments. Keep some of these unusual first aid hacks in mind to treat some of life's little mishaps.
6 First Aid Hacks You've Never Heard Of
- Apply Honey to Cuts: Do you keep honey in your kitchen? It's time to move it to your first aid kit! If you find yourself without an antibacterial product to treat a minor cut or scrape, you can use honey instead. Clean the cut with warm water, then apply a thin layer of honey. Honey's antibacterial properties will help keep infection at bay.
- Use Glue to Remove a Splinter: Splinters might not be life threatening, but they can definitely make your day a whole lot worse. Get rid of them quickly by applying a thin layer of glue over the area. Peel the glue off when it's dry and watch the splinter come with it.
- Deal With Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes are annoying at best and carriers of serious disease at worst. Repel them using store bought repellents, or by rubbing basil leaves on your skin. If you have a little more time, try steeping basil leaves in boiling water for 2-3 hours, then spraying the cooled water around your house. If you do end up with a bite, rub a banana peel over it. The sugars will help draw out the fluid, reducing that annoying itchiness.
- Treat Insect Stings: If you happen to run afoul of a bee or wasp, you know how painful the stings can be. Your first step after a sting is to inspect the area and remove any stingers left behind. If you've been stung by a bee, put a paste of baking soda and water over the site. If you've been unlucky enough to be stung by a wasp, reach for the apple cider vinegar. Soak cotton balls in it and gently apply to the sting.
- Banish Bruises with Pineapple: This one might seem particularly odd, but you can use pineapple to reduce bruises. Inside every piece of pineapple is an enzyme called bromelain. Bromelain helps reduce inflammation, which is useful when getting rid of bruises. Rub a piece of pineapple directly onto the bruised area to hasten healing.
- Use a First Aid App: Not sure how you would react in a first aid situation? Having a first aid app on your phone can put your mind at ease. First aid apps contain important information to help you effectively respond to any crisis that comes your way. Save valuable time by having the tips you need right at your fingertips. Pair it with a first aid kit and you'll be ready for anything.